Nomen omen: Three hundred cisterns holding around 24000 litres of olive oil. Between the end of the XVII century and the beginning of the XVIII century the original project took place and then in 1729 its definitive enlargement was fulfilled by the architect Giovanni del Fantasia. The main structure consists of a building with a large rectangular hall and three supporting naves standing on a stone paved floor. Olive oil in this period was the most important of goods for the port of Livorno. Built in the Livornian district called Venice, it was connected to the sea by way of inner city canals. As time went by it was also used for storing general food goods. Nowadays the complex hosts “Il Polo Culturale della città di Livorno” (the cultural hub of the city of Livorno): The Biblioteca Labronica (the Livornian Library) on the first floor and the Museo della Città (the City’s Museum) at ground level.
Its Art section merits a visit to admire contemporary artists’ works like “Il Grande Rettile” (The Big Reptile) by Pino Pascali, “La Corsa di Alma” by Emilio Isgrò or other artists such as Nigro, Manzoni, Tancredi Parmeggiani, Trafeli, Uncini and Castellani. All works were consigned to the Town Council by the artists in previous years for events and exhibitions especially on the occasions of eight editions of the Modigliani Award, between 1955 and 1967. On the subject of Modigliani, from November 2019 till February 2020 the City Museum has displayed the “Modigliani e l’avventura di Montparnasse” exhibition by the great Dedo, as his fellow citizens of Livorno affectionately called him. It turned out to be an excellent exhibition of masterpieces, which permitted Modigliani to be given back the high status that he so rightly deserves: That of one of the five geniuses of the XX century as avant-garde painters and sculptors. This was also the occasion to strengthen the bond, an ever so strong and indissoluble bond between Amedeo Modigliani and his birthplace, the city of Livorno.